Located in northern Central America, Belize is the top vacation destination with many tropical treasures yet to be discovered by mass tourism.
Its unique offerings include reef and rainforest destination areas unmatched in an area so close to North America.
Most travelers spend a few days on the coast or offshore on the Cayes (islands) and a few days exploring the majestic mainland attractions including Mayan Ruins, caves, rain forest canopy tours and other adventure and fun activities.
The country is a top destination for most any kind of traveler, and with the right plan you can enjoy the relaxing aspects of a vacation as well as the more adventurous and exotic activities.
This Caribbean country is well-known for cave tubing, jungle canopy zip lining, SCUBA and snorkeling in the balmy tropical waters inside the protection of the Barrier Reef. Here is a sample travel itinerary for Belize:
Reef and Rainforest Adventure
Day 1: Arrive at the Belize International Airport and transfer by air or land to a popular beach destination – Placencia, Hopkins, Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye. Relax on a hammock on the beach as you sunbathe and take in the view of the Caribbean Sea. Spend overnight at a beach resort or a private island.
Day 2: Snorkel or dive. The Belize Barrier Reef is spectacular for this, and serious divers may want to visit one of the Top Ten Dive Destinations In Belize. Discover colorful marine life in our crystal clear waters. Enjoy water sports such as kayaking, parasailing or windsurfing. Looking for the Grand Slam? No matter your skill level, local fishing guides will help you land the catch of the day. Second overnight at a beach resort.
Day 3: Travel inland and explore an ancient Maya Temple. Visit Altun Ha in the Belize District, or Xunantunich, Caracol or Cahal Pech in the western Cayo District. Visit Lamanai in Orange Walk or go over the Corozal Bay to Cerros. Toledo has an abundance of jungle adventure including the Maya sites of Lubaantun and Nim Li Punit. Overnight at a jungle lodge.
Day 4: You can spend your last day being pampered and massaged at one of the many spas at the better jungle lodges immersed in natural splendor. Or better yet, set off on yet another adventure. Myriad waterfalls, caves and jungle trails are virtually everywhere in the country’s extensive rainforests, along of course with birds and wildlife. Immerse yourself in nature and be reborn. Enjoy a romantic dinner at a jungle lodge.
Day 5: Start the day with a traditional Belizean breakfast before you set off for home, reinvigorated and fulfilled by your collection of photos and videos, memories and experiences. Start planning your return vacation to Belize as you bid farewell to your new Belizean friends. Transfer to the International Airport.
International accessibility from North and South America and Europe along with a sound infrastructure in tourism and hospitality provides diverse choices for reaching this country and getting around. From most locations within Belize you will be able to include a combination of marine, inland, Maya Ruins and cultural activity. Check out our Top Ten Things To Do In Belize.
Here are some tips to quickly give you some ideas for your vacation.
* A luxury jungle lodge in the Cayo district may have quiet natural surroundings with spa, museum, local market and numerous attractions all on site.
* Your stay on a small or private island will offer privacy, peace and tranquility away from a lot of people.
* Do your research on independent websites (such like this one of course). Government sponsored websites tend to generalize and peddle official tourism board fluff-type information.
* Many small Belize guest houses, hotels and condo rentals can be found offering economical lodging. A local tour company will often give you good leads on finding the right package, including Belize all inclusive packages to fit your budget.
* The Vacation high season usually kicks off when winter starts in North America – usually around Thanksgiving. Rooms can be hard to find at the last minute. Prices on rooms and air travel go up sharply during this season.
* Cold call or email hotels in advance and secure a discounted price before the high season gets underway and you may find some bargains. Or, book your travel in the off season when prices are low and rooms are cheaper. An experienced and well established tour operator can usually ferret out hard to find accommodations even in the high season. Check out our Book Belize Hotels page.
* Staying in an area close to the borders, for example Corozal or Cayo makes it easier to access the Mexican city of Chetumal in the north or the Guatemalan border towns of Melchor De Mencos (in the west) or Rio Dulce and Puerto Barrios.
* As a developing country vehicles and fuel are expensive. Renting a vehicle to get around while very convenient, can be expensive. Public transport is cheap but can be uncomfortable, unreliable and quiet honestly largely falls into the “chicken bus” category. Your choice will of course depend on where you are staying. Asking the hotel staff (many of who commute to their job spots) about transport in the area may get you ideas for saving money on reliable transportation.
Cool Vacation Videos
Here is a short list of Vacation Videos compiled by our editors and available on You Tube: